- Start with the characters (back story, flesh them out). Then figure out what they're going to do.
- Conflict! Each character should want something different. Let them fight it out.
- Just write. Back and forth. 10-15 pages. Then figure out what you want to keep.
- Write what you know.
- Let characters reveal the setting through dialogue.
- Keep it simple. Don't include a lot of stage direction.
- In media res = begin in the middle of things. Think about your opening line.
- Use your understanding of the five things (plot, character, conflict, theme, setting).
- Use elements of The Hero's Journey (ordinary world, call to adventure, etc.) to structure your play.
- Print a hard copy of your play and mark it up with changes.
Tips on Writing a Short Play
Posted by Nelson