Pick something that's arguable.
Pick something you haven't figured out yet.
Pick something from the opposing viewpoints website (password: knights). This will ensure that it's arguable. Also, it will make writing your paper easier (because of the resources available: various articles, citing your sources, etc.).
Write your topic on a 3x5 card and turn it in today, 10/29. Include a question or two that you plan to answer.
Some of the topics you researched:
- Book banning: protecting young people vs. preparing young people.
- Poverty: whose job is it to take care of the less fortunate?
- Students and homework: how much homework is needed?
- Wealth: do the 1% have too much power/money/influence?
- Bullying: what are the best ways to stop bullying?
- Marijuana: should it be legal or not?
- Smartphones: use in the classroom. Distraction or valuable?
- Animal Rights: should animals have the same rights as humans?
- Body Image: how does the media influence girls vs. boys?
- Junk Food: should schools have junk food vending machines?
- Twitter: how has Twitter changed news and reporting?
- Divorce: how does divorce affect children, and ultimately, society?
- Smoking: why the crap are people still smoking? (they know the dangers)
- Suicide: what are the best ways to approach and reduce this problem?
- Online School: what are the benefits/drawbacks compared to traditional school?
- Adoption: how does this affect the birth mother?
- Online Dating: what are the dangers and do they outweigh the benefits?
- Olympics: just about competition or more about political issues?